Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) or lupus is an autoimmune disorder wherein organs and cells experience damage primarily intervened by tissue binding autoantibodies and immune complexes. Lupus nephritis (LN) is a type of kidney disease caused by SLE. It is linked with significant morbidity and mortality in patients with SLE and substantial risk of disease progression to end-stage renal failure.
Lupus nephritis is a potential kidney disease with significant unmet clinical needs regardless of extensive clinical and translational research over the past decade resulting in only drug approval of Benlysta (belimumab) in 2011 for SLE. Although immunosuppression therapy has made it possible to control the disease with improved life expectancy and better quality of life. Current therapeutic options available in lupus nephritis market are off-label therapies that have undesirable side effects which will remain at the forefront of LN market. Increase R&D activity and the launch of new biologic drugs will boost the growth of the global lupus nephritis market. The launch of new pipeline drugs will satisfy the need for improved lupus nephritis medications and effective treatment management. In 2017, there were 560,320 diagnosed prevalent cases of SLE in the US, Japan, and EU5 (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK). LN accounts for about 20 percent of SLE patients. The US has the highest number of people diagnosed from LN in 2017, followed by Japan and the UK. The prevalence of lupus nephritis in Asian SLE patient population is much higher than in Caucasians. Thus, it represents large and well-defined market opportunity with very less competition and is projected to be worth US$5.89 billion by 2019 at a CAGR of 19 percent. The growing prevalence of LN, awareness among patients, robust healthcare infrastructure, increased R&D activities, and new drug approvals, have propelled the growth of the market. Significant opportunities will remain in the market even after the launch of current pipeline drugs due to lack of disease understanding and specific diagnosis test.
The market is characterized by the presence of a large number of companies. Strong pipeline and inorganic growth strategies will intensify the level of competition among the market players. Companies should embrace the idea of targeting a smaller subset of the larger SLE population to gain market share as this strategy will be the best approach for clinical success of investigational products.The leading players in the market are Roche, GSK, Bristol Myers Squibb, MedImmune and AstraZeneca. The other prominent players in the market are Amgen, Anthera Pharmaceuticals, Aurinia, ImmuPharma, Merck, and Teva Pharmaceuticals.
This report provides strategic insights into the overall CML treatment market, accompanied by the market size and forecast from 2012 to 2022 for major regions, along with approved product sales. The report covers in-depth product profiles of imatinib (Gleevec), nilotinib (Tasigna), dasatinib (Sprycel), bosutinib (Bosulif), ponatinib (Iclusig),and omacetaxine (Synribo) with market sales data for 2014 to 2022. It also provides detailed epidemiology of the CML by major regions (US, the Americas, Europe, and Asia Pacific). Some key players profiled in this report are Novartis, Roche, Teva and Pfizer.
Key Question Answered:
- Prevalence of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in US, EU5 and Japan; 2017-2026
- Prevalence ofLupus Nephritis in US, EU5 and Japan; 2017-2026
- Global Prevalence of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus by Severity and Race
- Global Prevalence of Lupus Nephritis by Severity and Race
- Global Lupus NephritisMarket by Value; 2010-2022
- Global Lupus NephritisGenerics/Off-label Drugs Market by Value; 2010-2022
- Global Lupus NephritisNovel Drugs Market by Value; 2010-2022
- Global Average Annual Cost of LN per Patient; 2017
- Lupus NephritisDrugs Cost per Year in the US; 2017
- Clinical Trial Analysis of Lupus Nephritis
- Product Profile of Current Therapies: Benlysta, CellCept, Prograf and HP Acthar
- Product Profile of Pipeline Therapies: Orencia, Lupuzor, Anifrolumab, Orelvo and Blisibimod
- Detailed analysis of growth drivers, challenges and trends in Smart Pills market
- Detailed Company Profiling of Key Market Players: Aurinia, ImmuPharma, Roche, BMS and Anthera